The Northeast Region has initiated a Climate Change Steering Committee that is promoting a sustainable building initiative along with energy audits, for all covered facilities. Also, parks in the Northeast Region are being directed to enter the Climate Friendly Parks Program and to establish regional Green Teams.

Both the Secretary of the Interior and the Director of the National Park Service have mandated youth programs as a high priority, calling for an increase in employment opportunities for youth in the Bureau by 60% this fiscal year. They have also directed the NPS to engage youth in resource and energy conservation efforts.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Reflection - My YCC Experience


The YCC program has given me a new perspective on many things. The first is energy conservation. Before this program, I was always curious about how my family could save money on our energy bills. I even persuaded my mom to buy energy efficient light bulbs thinking this would solve the problem and we would save money. I now know there are many things that we could do everyday to conserve energy and at the sametime help the environment. It was fascinating learning how to conduct weatherization energy audits, properly use caulk, insulation and foam to seal air leaks in buildings (if needed).

I also visit places I never been like Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site (I did not even know that it existed), Elmwood Park Zoo, and Fort McHenry National Monument and Hampton National Historic Site in Baltimore (that’s was my first time going to Baltimore and the furthest I have been out of Philly).

I have become acquainted with new people and I have worked on my communication skills. I learned stuff about American history I did not know; like how it is not proven that Betsy Ross actually sewn the original American Flag and that Fort McHenry is a French designed fort and that there are many like it across the world.

Finally, I have seen a lot of wildlife, plenty of deer, hawks, and groundhogs; however I have to say that the visit to the Elmwood Park Zoo was exciting. They have animals I have never seen before like porcupine, foxes, wolves, a bald eagle, and vultures (all the vulture excepts one was local and just seemly enjoyed being in the park's displays).

I had a good time this summer. It has been a experience that I won't forget.

Khalid Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment